Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Weight - Wait!

I went in for my six week post-partum check up yesterday where the doctor told me I had lost all my baby weight plus three additional pounds - great, right???  But why don't my old clothes fit if I'm smaller than when I got pregnant???  Apparently this belly and these hips need a little more attention before fitting in those skinny jeans (okay, I never really had skinny jeans - but you get the point). 

She also told me that because I had gestational diabetes and was on insulin I'm at a greater risk for developing Type 2 diabetes.  My doctor was gestational diabetic and on insulin with her last child.  She told me she kept up the diabetic diet for a good year, but then started backsliding having too much pasta here and there, drinking regluar soft drinks, and eating too many sweets.  Her last hemoglobin check found that she was borderline for Type 2 diabetes.  Now, she is no where near over weight, which is why that's so scary and her doctor told her if she couldn't get her numbers down she would be putting her on medication in 3 months.  No thank you, no more needles sticks for me!

So, I put down the regular Dr. Pepper and backed away the Sour Straws to continue following the meal plans set up when I was pregnant.  But there is so much that I deprived myself up because I didn't take the time to try to make my recipes diabetic friendly, thinking I only have to do this for a few more months.  I set out yesterday to find healthy recipes to my favorite meals, Mexican and Pasta namely.  I stumbled across this website and thought I would try a few of her recipes.  The first one I made was Turkey and Black Bean Enchiladas - and it's a keeper!  The recipe calls for you to make homemade Enchilada Sauce, but I had a can handy and used that instead.  It probably only increased the sodium content of the recipe.

Tomorrow we are grilling some Chicken trying Spaghetti Squash Pesto with Tomatoes (which P.S., Lillian you can totally eat because there are no pine nuts!).  Almost every recipe looks fabulous, but the pictures are copyrighted so you'll have to go check them out yourself. 

Wish me luck on keeping up the low carb, low sugar diet - it was much easier when I was concentrating on Mary Emma's health.  Now I just have to make my own health that important.

Blessings,

Candice

2 comments:

  1. oh how I wish there were words that could properly express my love of sour straws...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Way to go, Candice!!! You'll be back in those skinny jeans in no time...and for the record, I DO remember super tiny Candice (but then again, we were all much tinier back then)! Good luck on the recipes- I'm going to have to try the enchiladas Hope ya'll are doing well & to see you & Miss Mary Emma soon!

    ReplyDelete